Aloha KBee ohana,
Here's a quick recap of Wednesday's meeting and a couple of links and attachments for your future enjoyment.
Our next meeting will bee on Wed March 21 in LRC 129( really cool chairs and plenty of room ( : ).
I will bee off island next month so we agreed to forgo February's meeting and reconvene in March.
Mahalo to Dave Boucher who has kindly agreed to coordinate the Mann Lake order again. Attached is the Excel spreadsheet that he has requested us to use. Please return it filled out to him via email <email@example.com> no later than Feb 1. Payment is due at the time of pick up. (~6-8 weeks).
Here are a couple of links for you to read at your leisure. One is an article on promising treatment for varroa mite. The other was published recently in the Garden Island News. The latter was brought up at Wednesday's meeting and some folks present had not seen the letter. I share it with you with the hope for further dialog of the related issues among KBee members, other beekeepers and our community.
Here are my notes from this week's meeting:
* Welcome & Introductions- We had two new members join us. Mahalo & Welcome to Jackie & Kalani
Mahalo to Joyce, Francis,Dave B,Dave R, Roy,Diane,Lee, Colin for renewing their KBee membership.
* KBee Membership Renewals - Attached is the KBee membership form. If you haven't already done so, fill out and return to GIRC&D 4253 C Rice Street, Lihu‘e, HI 96766-1315. Membership is by donation and your support is greatly appreciated. Mahalo for your past & continued contributions to KBee
* KBee Mann Lake Order- Mahalo to Dave Boucher who has kindly agreed to coordinate the Mann Lake order again. Attached is the Excel spreadsheet that he has requested us to use. Please return it filled out to him via email <firstname.lastname@example.org> no later than Feb 1. Payment is due at the time of pick up. (~6-8 weeks).
* KBee Website - Jimmy asked for feedback on the 'new & improved' KBee website. Please visit www.kauaibeekeepersassociation.com & make suggestions about what else would bee good to have on the page. If you have images or links to beekeeping related sites please forward to me.
* KBee February Meeting - February's meeting is cancelled. Our next meeting will bee on Wed March 21 in LRC 129 ( really cool chairs and plenty of room ( : ).
I will bee off island next month to visit my mom so we agreed to forgo February's meeting and reconvene in March.
* Member's Choice-New Business :
-Jimmy mentioned that HDOA apiary program sent a notice (see attachment) about american foul brood (AFB) on Oahu. This is the second reported occurrence of AFB on Oahu in the past few years. An outbreak on the Big Island was reported last year.
-Joyce questioned whether the article in the Garden Island was sent on beehalf of KBee. I related that it was submitted in response to a previous article in the Garden Island about the Joint Fact Finding Group update recently presented to Kaua'i legislators. Joyce suggested that it maybee appropriate to seek approval of membership of anything submitted on 'beehalf of KBee membership'. Roy suggested that individuals should bee able to submit anything as long as it only represents the individual and does not 'represent KBee'. It was noted that the article was not submitted on 'on beehalf of KBee' and generally agreed by those present that beefor an 'official notice representing KBee membership' is submitted some discussion and approval by membership is warranted.
Jimmy mentioned that new for 2018 would bee the development of a new KBee logo A discussion followed about strategies to approach graphic artists or students who may bee interested in submitting design ideas. Dave B suggested that he would contact a graphic arts instructor and see if there was interest to help us out.
Several organizational issues related to 'the minutes of the meeting', 'lacking a Secretary' or having a 'treasurer's report' generated a fair amount of discussion among those present. Along the lines of this discussion were issues related to by-laws, elections and organizational legitimacy. We will carry on this discussion at the March meeting and suggestions that since the 'official business meetings' occur every other month recording of meeting minutes should not bee too burdensome nor would a quarterly report from the treasury bee too onerous. If you are interested in joining the KBee Executive Committee, feel free to contact me via email or phone 346 7725
Aloha aina & may the force bee with you!............jt